.

.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

More Help for Chapped Lips

Chapped lips are a problem for a lot of people, and as we’re heading into the colder winter months, you do not want to start the season with chapped lips.

If you wear lipstick, you’ll want to use anti-chapping products at night before bed and whenever you aren’t wearing lipstick. If you have severe problems with chapping, try not wearing lipstick for a few days while using healing lip balms. If your chapped lips clear up, your lipstick may be causing the problem. You may want to switch to a more moisturizing type of lipstick. If you will use healing lip products on a regular basis, most of you will find relief from chapping.

For years I used petroleum-based lip balms, and still my lips stayed very chapped and flaky. I switched brands many times, but never found relief. After a friend brought to my attention the large amounts of petroleum contained in these products, I opted for a healthier type of lip carethe non-petroleum variety. Remember, throughout the day you are ingesting (by eating, drinking, and licking off ) anything you put on your lips. It may seem minor, but day after day, year after year, the petroleum and dyes in lipsticks and balms add up to consuming a lot of undesirable elements.

Try switching to non-petroleum lip products, and see if that helps you. Some eye creams are made to be used on the lips as well. Personally, I prefer a balm rather than a cream, but you may fare well using your eye cream as a lip treatment. There are many brands of quality lip care that can be found at most health food stores. This tangerine Whole Foods brand, pictured above, is the one I have used for years. It doesn’t have much of an aroma, something I prefer in a lip balm. It works great, too.

Using an oil on your lips can also be an effective way to relieve chapping. If you have olive oil in your kitchen, pour some in a small container and dab it on your lips whenever you need to. This will go a long way in helping to keep your lips hydrated and free from chapping. I personally don’t like oils; the oil always seeps into my mouth. I’ll continue to use my favorite non-petroleum lip balms and I encourage you to find a favorite of your own.

I always encourage my clients to purchase several balms vs. just one. Then you can put them in different strategic places so wherever you are you’ll have a lip balm handy, and you can kiss the possibility of chapped lips good-bye.

For more information, see: