.

.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

HEADSPACE: Get your meditation on


I love foreign accents, quiet time, and innovation. Those are just some of the reasons I love Headspace. (www.headspace.com)

Headspace was co-foundeded by Rich Pierson and British-accented Andy Puddicombe and is a very easy way to start a meditation practiceor continue your practice in a different way. The following was taken directly from Wikipedia:

Andy Puddicombe (born 23 September 1972) is the founder of Headspace; an award-winning digital health platform that provides guided meditation sessions for its users. A former Buddhist monk with a degree in Circus Arts. According to The Times, he is also considered the “international poster boy for the modern mindfulness movement.” As both author and public speaker, Puddicombe is known for his simple, accessible and secular approach, which has led to over 1 million users of the Headspace platform. The New York Times claims “Puddicombe is doing for meditation what Jamie Oliver has done for food.”

I have meditated on and off throughout my life. A few years back I was regular, putting on my headphones and “sitting” in meditation for 20-30 minutes a day. For whatever reason, I stopped practicinguntil recently. A wonderful client of mine mentioned Andy and that she had started using his meditation app. I did some research to see what this was all about. I was intrigued since I truly wanted to resume a meditation practice.

One of the biggest draws for me was this is guided meditation, where someone (Andy in this case) talks you through the time spent “sitting.” Also, Headspace sessions start with 10 minutes a day. Seriouslywho doesn’t legitimately have ten minutes somewhere in the day to help improve their health and well-being?

I love listening to Andy’s voice; as I mentioned, I love an accent and his is wonderful. I love how he pronounces body (boudy). But seriously, that is not why I am doing this. I know from personal experience how much calmer and more grounded I feel after doing even a few minutes (perhaps 10?) a day of sitting, getting quietmeditating. It does and will make a positive difference in your life. Even if you’re not a “meditator” or don’t really understand what meditation is, give this a try and you may be surprised how good it makes you feel.

Headspace offers a 10-day free trial. Give it a go and see if you can find 10 minutes a day to get some headspace. Give your mind a rest and take some stress out of your day. Go aheadtake a few minutes out for yourself: you’re worth it!
I want to add that I am not being paid to share this information. I’m not receiving any benefits from any clicks you make from this blog page nor from mentioning Headspace or Andy Puddicombe. I simply want to share something with you that has brought more goodness into my life.

For more anti-stress ideas, see: