.

.

Sunday, August 17, 2014

MYTH: Food doesn’t affect skin

Food doesn’t affect skin? Food does affect your skin. There are plenty of books and many doctors who will disagree with me on this issue. However, I have seen too much evidence to believe otherwise. It just doesn’t make sense that what you eat doesn’t affect everything about you, including your skin. It’s like saying I can fill up my car’s gas tank with orange juice, and this won’t affect how it runs. A car requires a certain type of fuel to run efficiently, and so does your body. If you put low-quality foods into your system, sooner or later your system (your body) will rebel.

When someone comes to see me with breakout, the first questions I ask concern their diet (daily intake of food). This includes questions about sugar intake as well. I have found over and over that poor diet and excess consumption of sugar (along with other factors) equals skin trouble. This is not to say someone with problem skin couldn’t be eating well but have a hormone imbalance that is causing problems. I’ve seen that too. But more often than not, diet plays a key role in how clear (or broken out) your skin is.

There are many articles on this blog pertaining to healthy eating equaling healthy skin. Here are a few to get you started: